Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Dear Food Network... Copy That!

Dear Food Network,

I'm your next star! I'd like Bobby Flay to produce my show and if my set can look like Ina Garten's that would be great. I know you've already got a gig with Paula Deen and her sons, but just wait til you see my babies - they are going to rock the network! Here's a picture of us at our local elk sanctuary. Aren't they sooooo cute?!? Can't wait to get started. Let's start filming soon. Until then... I'll keep reading your magazine and daydreaming about having my own show!

Love, Brittany

If only! I wish. __________________________________________________________________




So I've been moseying through the latest edition of Food Network magazine, and loving all the summer-inspired dishes. The "Copy That!" spread caught my eye this month and I just had to try my own little version of "this is the BEST grilled cheese I have ever had in my LIFE!" - quoting my husband.

Cosi has got nothing on me! I only wish I had had some fresh mozzarella to work with. That would've been epic. But alas, the grocery budget has been spent, and we "suffered" (HA!) through some sliced mozzarella instead.

I didn't have time (mother with 2 children under 2 here) to whip up the bread this recipe called for. But I used my favorite pizza dough recipe, added onion powder, garlic powder, and oregano to the mix, and made perfect loaves for this deal. Baked them for about ten minutes @ 425 degrees. YUM! Smelled like a bakery in our house!


_____________________________________________________________________________________





So all you need for the sandwich is:

flatbread
sliced tomato
mozzarella
fresh basil

And for the dressing/dipping sauce:


3 tbls. balsamic vinegar
3 tbls. dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. dried basil
pinch of sugar, sea salt, & black pepper
1/2 C. extra-virgin olive oil

I held WAY back on the EVOO.
Probably only used a tablespoon or two and it was great.
Just added a little water to dilute the vinegar.
This dressing went right on the sandwich when grilling,
and straight to the table for dipping!

Nathan was ooooo-ing and mmmmm-ing through all of dinner.
He said the dressing was "WOW."
Yea...I try. I'm a WOW wife who makes WOW food! Haha.


This was a perfect weeknight dinner.

I had spent half the day shopping at the mall,
trying to find a dress for some upcoming Fall weddings (exciting!),
and chasing babies around the play center!
Momma likes easy, crowd-pleasing, FAST dinners!
Served these sandwiches with some veggie soup. Money!

Even if you never hire me, I am thankful for the inspiration, Food Network!











Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving some comment love! I enjoy hearing what you have to say... and others do too! XO