Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Tell me more about how much you love birth control...

A few years back I was sitting at my desk at work, minding my own business,
probably eating a sandwich or a jar of M&Ms or something, when a co-worker walked in...
let's call him "John".

"How was your weekend, John?"

"Oh it was great. Went to a movie with the kids, mowed my lawn, got a vasectomy."


Me, now choking on my food, "Excuse me?"

All laissez faire. Just like that, he tells me he went and got neutered.
Like he got a hair cut or something.


I don't know if it's because I'm older and a parent now, or if the climate is just shifting,
but COMPLETE STRANGERS have told me about their latest IUD or birth control pills.
And I'm awkwardly standing there like, "Can you just scan my groceries, let me pay, and go?!?!"
For crying out loud, I'm here for food, not a chat about your vagina.

I'll never forget the time I was sitting at a local, little mom's club and a bunch of women
were CHEERING for another woman who had recently got herself some hormonal contraceptives
because, "I can't handle another colicky baby." Good job, Betty? Let's alter your body
with artificial hormones with possible chronic or fatal results, but at least you won't
have another baby to take care of. Logic.

I see it a lot. People patting each other on the back for their birth control choices. Like they
need some sort of support or encouragement to "do the right thing." And there I am, in the midst of the
sea of absurdity, shaking my head, choking on my food, wondering where all sense of propriety has gone.

Fun fact: there are two classes of hormonal contraceptives.

Combined estrogen/progestin preparations
+
Progestin-only preparations

Combined preparations include artificial hormones, estrogen and progestin, to disrupt
normal, healthy functions of a woman's cycle
. That sounds smart. "Let's fix something that's
NOT broken."
Most common forms on the market:

Orally ingested pills // (i.e., LO/Ovral, Loestrin, Yaz, Seasonique)
Patches changed weekly // (i.e., Ortho Evra)
Vaginal ring worn 3 weeks then left out for 1 week // (i.e., Nuvaring)
Have you seen THIS thriller, Vanity Fair, article on Nuvaring's death toll?

Progestin-only preparations do not contain estrogen and are available to the public as:

Orally ingested pills // (i.e., Micronor, Nor-QD, Nora-BE, Camila, Errin)
Injections given every 3 months // (i.e., Depo-Provera)
Implants worn under the skin for 3 years // (i.e., Implanon)
Intrauterine devices worn up to 3 years // (i.e., Morena)

We all know, more or less, how these work. They accomplish ovulation suppression, they prohibit
sperm migration by thickening or altering cervical mucus, or prevent implantation. One or all three
of these mechanisms can take place in a given cycle to prevent pregnancy.

Artificial hormones, messing with the body's natural rhythm, flow, regular balance of hormones,
is dangerous ground. But no regular doctor will tell you that. Just another stat, number,
repeat patient, money in the pocket.


"Discontinuing hormonal contraceptives due to side effects is common in U.S. women;
64% of women who stop taking the Pill do so because of side effects, and another 13% stop
because of worries of side effects."
- Mosher, W.D., Jones, J. "Use of Contraception in the
United States: 1982-2008." National Center for Health Statistics. Vital Health State 23 (29). 2010.


Most common complaints: headaches, cramping, breast tenderness, and bloating and/or swelling.
Major risks include blood clots, stroke, heart attack and cancer. Sign me up!

Recent studies show:

"Women who started using hormonal contraceptives before age 18 have a 90% increased risk of any
breast cancer and a 370% increased risk for "triple negative" breast cancer (a particularly aggressive
form responsible for about 10-17% of all cases in the U.S.)"
- Dolle, J.M., et.al, "Risk Factors for
Triple Negative Breast Cancer in Women under the Age of 45 years" (Cancer Epid. Biomark Prev. 2009,
18(4):1157-1166).


"Women who use hormonal contraceptives bfore their first birth are at 44% increased risk of
breast cancer."
- Kahlenborn, C. et.al. "Oral Contraceptive Use as a Risk Factor for
Premenopausal Breast Cancer: a Meta-analysis" (Mayo Clin. Proc. 2006, 81(10):1290-1302).


"Women who use contraceptives 11 years or longer are at 210% increased risk of breast cancer.
For perspective, this same study found smoking, a well known carcinogen, increasing breast cancer
risk 25% in the same study population."
- Corghan, I.T., et.al. "The Role of Smoking in
Breast Cancer Development: An Analysis of a Mayo Clinic Cohort" (Breast J. 2009, 15(5): 489-495).


And if that's not enough:

In 1981, the president of the American College of Obstetrics & Gynecology,
told the U.S. Senate on a proposed bill attempting to restrict Roe vs. Wade:

"I believe that it is realistic to assume that the IUD and the low-dose oral contraceptive
pills could be considered abortifaceints."
- Gold, R.B., "The Implications of Defining When a Woman
is Pregnant" (The Guttmacher Report on Public Policy, May 2005).


If ovulation suppression and the inhibition of sperm have failed, the third mechanism,
"prevention of implantation" DOES occur with effective hormonal contraceptives.
That means a LIFE has been conceived - as it has gotten through the first two gates -
and is then TERMINATED. It's prettier than an abortion, but still.

_____________________________________

So when people are offended that I "don't respect" their "choice" - I'm in awe really.

You mean you want to jump off a cliff?

I guess if the answer is "yes" I'm not going to stop you. I'll "respect your choice" -
after you've reassured me that you're firing on all cylinders here.

Pharmaceuticals are for the sick and broken. Your body isn't broken, women.
Don't let hormonal contraceptives make you so. The next time someone is begging for a little
"back pat", do them a favor and remind them that there is a price, and that you love them enough
to share these details because it's not worth their life.

I'm so pro-woman my heart hurts.




Want to learn more about Natural Family Planning?
here & here

+ + +

FACTS + DETAILS taken from The Couple to Couple League
all opinions expressed are my own.





















Pin It!

11 comments:

  1. I tried birth control several times and it always messed me up in very noticeable ways. After Addie I choose to get the essure procedure done. I am thankful I don't have to worry about getting pregnant....but.....I wouldn't say I'm 100% happy with my choice. Because it's hard to make that choice to longer be able to have babies & I have a pretty nasty side effect from the procedure.

    I'm so glad you're speaking up so passionately about this Brittney!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing that, Katie! Essure is where they insert coils into your fallopian tubes so that scar tissue builds up and eventually seals off the passage way, right? An irreversible decision?

      I AM super passionate about this! Oh man. You have no idea. I believe with all my heart that there is an agenda here and it is ultimately to DESTROY and CONTROL women. We were created PERFECTLY. In God's image at that. Why mutilate or throw artificial, carcinogenic hormones at a masterpiece? My mind is so blown over this. All. The. Time.



      Delete
  2. You are amazing. Thank you for your honesty, with the perfect dash of cynicism. It absolutely breaks my heart that women dive head first into birth control, no questions asked, having absolutely no idea that they've taken the bait from Satan. And what infuriates me further is how strongly the liberals, especially women on the left, push it as being pro-woman. That birth control broke us out of our bondage or something. What a joke. I'm pretty sure that the Suffragettes would completely disagree with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your support, Jessi!!! So good to know there are others out there "on the same page." Spread the word, right?!! It is a very trippy message for sure - the one that the modern world is sending about "freeing women" and all her "rights" yadda yadda... to what? Kill herself? Maybe. Mess up a perfect body? Definitely. Makes me so sad. Women, wake up!!!!

      Delete
  3. Why Brittany...don't you know??? Birth control has been the great liberator of woman! Sigh... if only woman realized how contradictory that theory is: control ≠ freedom.

    How sad that woman don't have enough pride, trust or respect for other woman to believe in the natural, beautiful process that only woman get the privilege to live. Instead it's a sale's barrage: Clear skin? Yes! No periods? Yes! No cramping, bloating, or mood swings??? Yes, yes, yes! Most importantly...no hideous child to keep you from your education, a great career, a big home, a fast car, vacations, or friends.

    Too bad I never got the memo that too be a successful woman, to prove that woman are strong, smart, and vibrant as well as beautiful and caring...to do all that means I should never have abstained until marriage, sworn off birth-control and then proceeded (with audacity) to be blessed with 3 children in 3 years and joyfully say that I would love God to bless us with more!

    I guess I really failed my life since I avoided birth control. My husband, home, 3 children, college degrees, full-time career, friends, hobbies....yep, I think they would agree that the only "smart" woman are those who let someone/something else control their bodies and their lives.

    (wow...i really don't want to be sarcastic about this...i want to just have compassion for those who don't realize they are having the wool pulled over their eyes....but, i have seen firsthand too many family members caving to birth control and touting it as woman's best aid)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, when I first started reading your comment, my blood pressure started rise... I thought it was some hater coming at me! Lol. Glad we're on the same team, Katie!!!

      So awesome to see such passionate women coming out to support this!!! Spread the word, the love!!! This message really gives me chills - it's really quite ridiculous what the WORLD dubs as "normal" :-)

      3 babes in 3 years - and I'm sure you would NOT change a thing! So beautiful!!!! I'm so happy for you <3

      I have to focus on being more compassionate with this issues too. Some women have NEVER heard the other side, the natural approach. Some women are victims to birth control already and others feel pressured in marriage for reasons A, B, or C. Ya know? We do have to meet them where they are at - but let's make THIS the norm!

      If I ever ran into the biggest agenda creator for birth control (which ultimately I guess I believe that would be Satan) - I'm pretty sure I'd swing. Once or twice at least. Maybe a swift kick in the groin. Lol.

      RISE UP, WOMEN! REALLY own your body!!!!

      Delete
  4. Can we be best friends?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing this! As a college student, I know far too many girlfriends who take birth control and are messing with their body's perfect system. It breaks my heart, and this has helped me strengthen my choice to let my body be as it was beautifully created! I wish all women could see (and understand!!) this. THANK YOU THANK YOU! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure, Lizzy! Stick to your guns - listen to your heart and your body! Don't be swayed by the world. You won't regret it!!! You are so welcome! Thank you for reading and sharing your heart here!!! XO

      Delete
  6. Hi Brittany- this really speaks to me as a woman who is currently using birth control but is (I think) undergoing a change of heart. I feel ready for children and my husband is...not? Not YET? Anyhow, you gave me a lot of encouragement. I know this thread is SUPER old at this point, but it's 10/01/14 right now and you're about to have a baby any day now. I want you to know I'm praying for you and the health of your new little one and existing little ones!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some comment love! I enjoy hearing what you have to say... and others do too! XO