Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Making Dinner with Momma

Not gonna lie. Being the head chef of our home kitchen has its perks.

Like... I get to pick my sous chefs!

If you are under 36" tall and just happen to be the cutest baby in the world... you might just get hired!

Nathan asked me the other day how I can feel so great all the time and not work-out.
Not work-out?!?! Please.
I lift babies all day. And groceries. And laundry baskets.
Oh and dinner doesn't just appear on the table!

If only I could be Samantha from Bewitched! That. Would. Be. Awesome.

I try to limit myself to less than 1 hour in the kitchen to prep and serve dinner. Or else the small people in my house start a riot.
Been there? Yea, all you mommas out there know what I'm talking about!

Toys start flying, clothes come off, water suddenly appears in places other than the sink, inedible objects go in the mouth!

- KEEP CALM AND COOK ON -


Here's how I try to do it these days. Zay is 2 and Judah is 11 months old. 15 months apart and the best of friends :-) We have a little table and chairs in the kitchen that they LOVE to sit at... and stand on. BOYS. Sigh. I usually hook them up with some coloring books, crayons, little toys, and a light snack to keep them occupied while I chop, prep, and deliver a non-processed dinner like the culinary goddess I am.

Now I'm going to be very truthful here...
and say that making dinner was CRAZY as usual the other night.
The table with toys and snacks only works for so long. Sigh.

Before I could finish, Judah decided to upgrade our kitchen tile to a nice shade of Crayola purple...


And Isaiah lost no time in stealing my stainless steal strainer
and rearranging his bedroom.

Please note that Judah is now shaking the piggy bank diligently
trying to get the coins to come out so he can put them in his mouth.


Good times! No, great times.
I know that I will miss these days.
So I don't take ANY OF THIS for granted.
This is the BEST GIFT of my life!


ANYWAY! We've been gifted with some garden goodness over the past couple of weeks! Can I just say a big THANK YOU to those who have shared the wealth of the land with me and my family! I was 2 hours too late on nabbing a spot in the community garden this year
(I am STILL beating my self up over that)...
but here's what we're eating from other people's gardens!



So the other night for dinner I wanted to use our garden gifts...

KOHLRABI GREENS OVER LONG GRAIN BROWN RICE
- topped with tomato & kohlrabi bruschetta -





The rice had ground cashews & nutritional yeast in it

- a plant lover's parmesan cheese -

Lots of garlic and sea salt too!



PAN-FRIED POTATOES WITH FRESH SWEET CORN & SAGE



Nathan had a long day at work and said that this meal was filling and satisfying!



If there were super heroes in the vegetable world, KOHLRABI would be one of them!

rich in vitamins and dietary fiber

only 27 calories per 100 g

negligible amount of fat - the healthy kind!

zero cholesterol

its anti-oxidant property helps body protect
from diseases and cancers by scavenging harmful free radicals from the body

packed with vitamin C

contains health-promoting phytochemicals such as
isothiocyanates, sulforaphane and indole-3-carbinol
- to protect against prostate and colon cancers

contains many B-complex vitamins

beautiful levels of minerals;
copper, calcium, potassium, manganese, iron,
and phosphorus are especially available in the stem

We enjoyed every part of the plant in this dish before we headed out to spy on the community garden!
My kids loves to peak and see what's growing!

... ok ok I love to peak and see what's growing!


Hope this made you laugh a little!

Now get in the kitchen and cook up something yummy for those you LOVE!!!





















Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving some comment love! I enjoy hearing what you have to say... and others do too! XO