Friday, June 15, 2012

eat your heart out, Betty Crocker!

I live vicariously through the lives of Food Network stars. Food and health are such a passion of mine. For the past couple of years we have been working through some of Nathan's health issues and allergies, and this past January we decided to take the “cure” to a whole new level! I was tired of him being sick and living on Immodium ALL THE TIME. No fun. After doing some research, talking to doctors and a nutritionist, and watching Forks over Knives (and being HIGHLY inspired by a good friend!).... we knew what had to be done. Goodbye, animals. I would say we are 90% vegan. The remaining 10% is now dedicated to better quality animal products once (or twice if we need a yummy veggie pizza!) a week. Grassfed, organic, cage free, hormone/antibiotic free... makes such a difference on the earth and our bodies! People literally freak out on me all the time and want to know where we are getting protein, calcium, B12, etc. I usually encourage them to check up on what grains, veggies, and fruits are packed with! It is all about balance and rotation! Nathan is healthier and only sick when he splurges on something like a Portillo's polish sausage. SO THANKFUL that what comes out of my kitchen keeps him HEALTHY! My kids are full of energy and don't have to deal with the highs and lows of high fructose corn syrup, artificial dyes, white sugar, etc. We feel GREAT as we run on plant power! I try really hard to not bring cow's milk or eggs into our home. For Isaiah's 2nd birthday I wanted to branch out and try to make some vegan chocolate cupcakes! Now – I would not classify these as “healthy” - but I would say they are “healthier” - because they are egg and dairy free and I used mostly organic products! They were a hit. Even my anti-chocolate husband ate TWO! Pretty yum. I highly recommend you try them out. They'll make your eyes roll back inside your head. Promise. And if they don't.... you can send them over to my house! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LITTLE ZAY! Momma loves you!

3 C. unbleached all purpose flour 1 ½ C. organic (minimally processed) raw cane sugar 1 tsp. sea salt 2 tsp. baking soda 1 tsp. baking powder ½ C. unsweetened cocoa powder ** run these ingredients through a sifter, create well, and set aside. 2 C. almond milk PLUS 2 tbls. Apple cider vinegar – (let stand for 5 minutes) ½ C. mild tasting olive oil 3 tsp. Vanilla **pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix well (do not over mix)... then add... ½ C. vegan chocolate chips (chopped into tiny pieces)!!! … I like EnjoyLife brand. Bake @ 350 for 12-15 minutes (give or take) – for CUPCAKES. Longer for a 9x13?

Top with fresh strawberries, vegan chocolate cookie crumbles, peanut butter, whatever makes you happy! I made a dairy-free whipped vanilla frosting out of vegan margarine with flaxseed oil, powdered sugar, vanilla, and almond milk! We topped the frosting off with Newman-O's dairy-free chocolate cookies! HEAVEN.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving some comment love! I enjoy hearing what you have to say... and others do too! XO