Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Baked Strawberry Oatmeal

This stuff makes me happy.
Serve it up for breakfast, as an afternoon snack, or dessert after dinner!
I made some the other night for my brother-in-law and a friend...
but before we could "gift" this away, my boys and I were eating it straight out of the pan as a bedtime snack!

I tweaked this recipe to be dairy-free and ALMOST sugar-free.
It hit me TODAY that FRESH berries would have been a good alternative to the organic berry spread (that's where the sugar snuck in!).


1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups oatmeal
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. sea salt

mix together - then add

1 cup non-dairy butter (Earth Balance, my friends. Very nice alternative.)
1/4 maple syrup
1/4 honey
(the original recipes calls for 1 cup brown sugar - if you are not afraid of sugar, go for it!)

use a pastry-blender or fork to work the wet ingredients into the dry mix

separate the "oatmeal" for TWO layers

spread one layer into a non-stick 9X9 pan

top with 12 oz. of your favorite fruit spread. i went with strawberry!
*kicking myself for not using fresh berries*... i think it would work!

spread the remaining "oatmeal" on top of the fruit. only has to look perfect if you are Martha Stewart, right?

bake @ 350 for 30-40 minutes. you're looking for: lovely golden brown :-)




quick + easy = happy momma!



Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving some comment love! I enjoy hearing what you have to say... and others do too! XO