Thursday, December 27, 2012

DIY: You're Full of Vanilla Beans

I have been DYING to share this DIY project with you all, but had to restrain myself to keep this a surprise for those receiving these little bottles of goodness!

HOMEMADE VANILLA BEAN EXTRACT


This is too easy NOT to do. I made 3 different trips to the liquor store for this stuff! Haha. I kept adding to the list of people to receive these! The last time I went in the clerk was like, "You know you can just buy this stuff in a LARGE bottle... right?!" I explained to him that I needed the little bottles for gifts of vanilla bean extract. He gave me an unbelieving smile. I'm sure his suspicions were confirmed when I walked right into a hanging branch out in front of the store! I PROMISE I ONLY TOOK A SIP FOR TESTING PURPOSES!


You can use any type of vodka or rum that pleases you. I went with vodka and just bought it in the little bottles so that I wouldn't have to find or buy a bunch of extra bottles to package it in. Worked like a charm.
I was then able to peel off the "Absolut" label and reapply a little label of my own! Lovely.


I used Madagascar vanilla beans. I sliced them down to fit into my bottles.
You can also slice them open down one side to expose the beans.
MY HANDS SMELLED SO GOOD!
You have to make sure the beans stay covered in the alcohol or they will mold.
I learned that lesson while trying to infuse oil with lavender :-)


I've read mixed reviews on how long it takes this stuff to age.
4-6 weeks? 2-3 months? My guess is that the longer you wait - the better it will be.
So I'm waiting a couple months before I crack open my bottle!!!


Hope all that received these little bottles are as pleased as I am!!!
And I hope that this isn't a total flop! That would be embarrassing.
But they look cute!!! And smell good!
If all else fails... just throw back a couple shots of vanilla flavored vodka.

Merry Christmas and cheers!


Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. Brittany this is awesome! I have infused oil and had the mold accident as well lol This is certainly my next mini gift, thank you :)

    So nice to meet you, love your blog!

    xo Kristin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Moldy vanilla bean extract will not do! Bummer. Hope it works out better for you next time! Nice to meet you too - welcome, glad you are here <3

      Delete
  2. wonderful issues altogether, you just won a emblem new reader.
    What would you recommend in regards to your put up that you
    just made some days in the past? Any positive?

    Here is my blog: mouse click the up coming website page

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some comment love! I enjoy hearing what you have to say... and others do too! XO