Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Gluten-Free Waffles + a Side of Perspective

You know what? Having allergies and cravings are one thing. Having allergies and cravings
whilst pregnant are quite another. Yesterday, when the doorbell rang and the nice mailman handed
me a flat, square box, my children shrieked, "PIIIIIIZZZZZZZA!?" In all of their existence, we
have NEVER had a pizza delivered to our house. Not one. But they were thinking what I've been
thinking for months: deep dish. Give it to me now. Or don't - because it will make me sick.


Two years of straightening out my diet and health issues. It's like my body is being ironed -
not my clothes - and let me tell you something, it is painful! Physically and emotionally.
My poor husband hears the bulk of it. When they go to canonize him someday, will someone please
add that to his testimony? I'm like his purgatory on earth. Food rants on repeat for this man.
Bet you're glad you didn't marry me. I told him when we were dating: "I am NOT just a pretty face."
I remind him of that now. Don't say I didn't warn ya, buddy!

It is just in these past couple of months though that I have realize how good I actually have it.
When I look at the foods I CANNOT eat compared to the list of foods that I CAN - I sigh a prayer of
thankfulness. Ok not really. I tend to twitch and get a little weepy - hi, my name is Brittany and
I am a recovering food addict.


I can't tell you how many e-mails I've received asking for ideas, diet solutions, favorite cookbooks,
places to start, etc. Most of which end with: "HOW MUCH DO YOU SPEND ON GROCERIES?!"

The golden question. A lot. That's my answer. But it's the only way to keep me and my family
healthy - so COST is a non-issue. We give up things in other areas to make this happen. We've
taken "let food be thy medicine" to a very serious level here. Hippocrates is the man.

And that's when I think of all the people, especially in third world countries, but even right here
in my own backyard. The ones who would laugh tears of joy to have my diet...
while I cry because I can't have just one freakin' Oreo.

Perspective. It's humbling.

Reminds me to be thankful for what has been given. It could be so much worse.
Little Miss Pampered Pallet here - recovering one day at a time.

____________________________________________________

Most of you know we make most things from scratch in our household. Boxed gluten-free mixes,
sauces, etc. still usually contain ANOTHER allergen that we have to avoid... soooooo you better
believe I do a couple back flips when I pump out a recipe from scratch that comes pretty darn
close to what I remember of the gluten-filled world!!!


VANILLA-ALMOND WAFFLES
(gluten-free + dairy-free + refined sugar free)

1 C. brown rice flour
1/2 C. all-purpose gluten-free flour (we use Bob's Red Mill)
1/4 C. tapioca flour
2 eggs
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1 tbls. vanilla
2 tbls. pure maple syrup
1/4 C. sunflower oil
1 1/4 C. unsweetened almond milk (could use rice milk or water)

Whisk and pour into oiled/buttered waffle iron. Magic will occur. Yields: 6-8 waffles.

I'm always impressed when a gluten-free breakfast item manages to "hold together"
under great amounts of fresh fruit and pure maple syrup! These made me happy happy happy.

AND because I don't tolerate yeast at the moment, I have been able to make some
mighty tasty sandwiches out of these waffle babies too!

P.S. these do well from freezer to toaster to stomach. Just FYI. Midnight snack.
I'm so pregnant.





Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. What kind of maple syrup do you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I buy the big 32oz. organic pure maple syrup from Costco, Caroline! I think it's just grade A -??? I bet your syrup tastes better than mine, Miss Canada?!

      Delete
  2. Obstacle-filled and humbling for sure. On a side note, those waffles of yours look mighty yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Send me your address and I can send you some:) its delish!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some comment love! I enjoy hearing what you have to say... and others do too! XO