Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Paleo "Spaghetti" and Meatballs

My grandma makes spaghetti like it's nobody's business. It's just better than the best bowl
of noodles you've ever had; in my humble, biased opinion of course. For years I've followed her
around like she's the Obi-Wan of red sauce, but apparently the force is just not with me.
I'd rather her cook for me anyway.

I don't often try to make my own sauce anymore. I usually just buy a jar of whatever organic,
certified gluten-free redness I pass in the aisle while grocery shopping and call it a day. We all
can't be Luke Skywalker. I've been putting more effort into my meatballs lately and it's paying off!
I feel like I at least have a chance with them! Since we are 100% gluten-free over here and try to
keep it as paleo-ish, posh, hipster as possible for our palates - I decided to incorporate my Grandma's
secret sauce weapon into my meatball recipe... and you guys: it works! And it's good.

Ready for this? Secret weapon: shredded carrots.

The shredded carrots add a subtle sweetness while at the same time act in place of the notorious
sidekick to the meat, breadcrumbs. Forget the breadcrumbs. Forget the cheese. Listen to me.
I'll tell you all the things you'll ever need to know. Just kidding. But check this out...

PALEO "SPAGHETTI" & MEATBALLS


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In large bowl, mix together:
1 pd. of grassfed beef
1/2 pd. of Italian sausage
1 C. finely shredded and drained (use a dish towel) carrots
1 small onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 eggs
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. garlic powder
sea salt and black pepper to your liking
(I go heavy - it's a lot to season!)

After you have those ingredients thoroughly incorporated, form mixture
into 2 inch meatballs and place on a baking sheet. I line my baking sheet
with parchment paper and extra virgin olive oil for easy clean up!

Bake for 45-60 minutes (or until cooked through). Flip once or twice.
Not you, the meatballs. They brown better that way.

We top ours with some marinara sauce the last 10 minutes of baking.
Fresh, chopped basil is nice too!

Yields 16-18


For the "spaghetti", slice lengthwise and de-seed as many spaghetti squash as your heart
desires. Drizzle the inside flesh with olive oil and generously sprinkle sea salt, pepper,
and garlic powder over that. Place skin-side up on a parchment lined baking sheet and
bake for 45-60 minutes (or until the skin slightly gives way when you press it).

*DO NOT be confused by the picture above. Flip them over, cavity side down, to bake*

The beauty of this: you can place the whole sha-bang (meatballs AND squash) in the oven at the
same time - and it will be ready at the same time! I love easy. Easy AND delicious?! Makes me happy.

Use a fork to scrape out the inside flesh, leaving the skin, of the squash and voila...

Spaghetti and Meatballs!!!








Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. that looks amazing....i love spaghetti squash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know, right?! I can't believe I lived a good 25 years without ever having spaghetti squash. Glad I grew up! Lol.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving some comment love! I enjoy hearing what you have to say... and others do too! XO